Thursday 14 June 2012

The story behind the name.


Over the past week, a couple of people have asked why I chose to give my blog the name that it’s got. So I thought I had better explain….

Anyone who knows me well will know that I have a rather colourful dating history. For many years, I have tended to be attracted to men who are bad for me – in fact with one recent notable exception, they have been varying degrees of vile. Of course, I have been oblivious to this until long after it is over. I had the dubious pleasure of bumping into one of them in a pub back last summer, and I told him during the course of our conversation of my intentions to sign up for the Bath half marathon. Spluttering into his beer he told me that I would never manage to run even a mile as I am far too fat and lazy. To be fair, I was perhaps rather foolish of me to expect him to be in any way supportive as his pet name for me was, and in fact still is "Lard".

Another equally charming ex, on terminating our relationship told me that he had made an exception for me, because normally he only dated thin, pretty girls. That statement has stuck with me ever since.  It would be understandable if he had the benefit of supermodel looks himself, but sadly he does not.

I am well aware that I am not exactly skinny. I haven’t been since I started working in McDonalds and discovered beer when I was 16. But I have come to realise that even if I had been a size 6, those men would still have made those comments – I wasn’t about me, or how I looked, it was about them and their odious personalities.  And as they both march quickly towards middle age, and all the disadvantages that go with it, I am becoming a better person than they ever deserved.  I will probably not ever be skinny again, but I will be happy and that is sometimes the best revenge anyone can get.

Fat or thin, I will complete the Bath half marathon, and I will do it with a smile on my face. And I will do it just for me, because I can. I have named this blog in celebration of who I am, and when I do complete the race it will because the things that they said about me made me stronger.
  
So there you go, my sad little story.  I could actually write a book on the men I have known and their strange habits. Maybe that will be my next project.

On a more cheerful note, I ran 5 miles this week without stopping. It was a bit slow at times, as it was on the road out of Abergavenny where I am currently on placement with university, and much of it was uphill, but it felt fantastic to complete that distance. If I can repeat the same next week, I think I might try to find a 10k to enter, and again I will finish it with a smile on my face.



No comments: