Thursday 10 November 2011

First night at running club

Having stuggled with motivation in the past, I decided to join a local running club. I thought that this might help turn this all into a bit more of a sociable activity, and I may be able to get some advice about training as well. 

After a bit of internet research, last night I went along, in the drizzling cold evening to meet up with a local club at the sports centre, full of enthusiam for interval training. I actually had no idea what that was, and am perhaps glad I didn't because I would have stayed at home in the warm, with some chips.

The session started with "a little jog to warm up" - which actually turned out to be a 1.75 mile run to the starting point of the session - further than I have ever run in my life - and during which I thought I might actually pass out. But the wonderful club members made sure that someone stayed with me the whole time, even when I was barely moving and were so encouraging that I kept going because I didn't want to feel that I was letting them down.

I thought that the "little jog" was bad enough, so had no idea of the horror that is hill training. It basically involved running up and down a fairly steep hill lots and lots. With tiny breaks in between sets. Halfway up the first attempt I thought my lungs were going to explode. The club arranges the sessions so that everyone can participate whatever level they are at, and again someone stayed with me the whole time. I was quite proud of myself to have managed 8 times up and down the hill by the end of the session, even though everyone else did at least 20 laps. Still every journey starts with a single step.....

I think joining a club was a good idea - I met some really nice people, who were very supportive despite my complete lack of sporting ability, which makes me much more likely to go back next week.

Bad news today though - I can barely move my legs. And I know it is going to be worse tomorrow. Have smothered myself in vast quantities of deep heat in the hope that it will do something to relieve the pain. But I'm really quite happy with myself that I started.

I'm feeling the need for a little bit of motivational encouragement, so here goes:

1 comment: